Home » Get Involved » Why I advocate for medicinal marijuana

Why I advocate for medicinal marijuana

For those of you that don't know me well enough to know that I personally do not smoke/ use marijuana, this should clear this subject up for you.

My Dad was diagnosed Aug of 2009 with Bladder cancer. He went through surgery (mind you the hospital staff collapsed his lung in the process), only to find out in Oct 2009 that it metastasized to his bones and was very aggressive and progressive. Meaning he is terminal... He was recommended to chemo and radiation for no other reason than to try and slow the progression, to no avail. the cancer pushed through both types of treatment and progressed anyway.

Tara Dad Christmas 2009 209x300 Why I advocate for medicinal marijuana
Dad at Christmas 2009

My Dad is only 55 yrs old, to young to die! In all of this his Oncologist was amazed at how well he maintained his weight and mood, My Dad was honest with all of his Doctors. He told them I use The Earth's medicine. It helps his appetite which is otherwise suppressed from Painkillers (Morphine & Dilaudid), It helped with nausea while he was doing treatments, it helps him cope emotionally with the thought that he will be gone from his family & friends that love him.

I know that there is nothing that can save my Dad's life, But there is a way to help him and so many others from suffering. There is so much evidence that Marijuana can help/ cure alot of different ailments and diseases. Do the research, my profile is plastered with information most of the time.

Tara Dad at potluck picnic in May 2010 245x300 Why I advocate for medicinal marijuana
Dad at picnic in May 2010

I personally work in health care and so many patients/ clients of all ages (even as old as 87) tell me that if it was legal the would try it, BECAUSE what they have now doesn't always help. Please do the research it may not be for you but there are people out there that would benefit GREATLY from this natural medicine.

What if it was your loved one? You would want anything that would help wouldn't you?

Tara Frutiger

XRAY AND LEAF Why I advocate for medicinal marijuana
Find the courage, take action today!

8 Responses

1. Rich Martin

Thanks Tara for sharing! I hope the best for your father! I also am a non-using cannabis activist for all the same reasons. I do this for the people I care about! Cannabis is a therapeudically safer medication than alot of FDA approved pharmaceuticals.
    Cannabis therapy is an effective treatment to many serious conditions. In my opinion, it is a violation of the hypocratic oath for health care providers not to endorse it's use when it is indicated.
    I hope the people of Wisconsin come together and call for the end of cannabis prohibition soon. For the sake of your father and many others! Marijuana is medicine. Not to mention a safer recreational substance than alcohol or tobacco.

2. Sara Tubbs (Meincke)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR PERSONAL STORY AND ALL THE WORK YOU HAVE PUT INTO LEGALIZING MEDICAL MARIJUANA. WITH SO MANY PEOPLE NEEDING MARIJANE TO COMFORT THEM AND MEDICATE THEM BECAUSE THEY HAVE A ILLNESS AND THE MEDICATIONS OUT NOW ARE ADDICTING (NOT TO MENTION THE SIDE AFFECTS) WHEN THE PAIN IS SO OVER WHELMING AND YOU CAN'T BARE ANOTHER EPISODE. YOU NO ITS COMING, YOU NO IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN. YOU ARE WORRIED IT WILL BE WORSE THAN THE LAST TIME. I NO YOUR FATHER ALSO HAS HAD PAIN THAT HAS CONSUMED HIS LIFE CANCER HAS CUT HIS LIFE SHORTER THAN IT SHOULD BE. GODBLESS

3. Anonymous

Hope your Dad is doing good, and you as well. We have seen first hand the positive effects for many illnesses and disorders even though we are in a "medical marijuana" state, there are some ailments that Dr.'s are not allowed to write recommendations for. The Federal Govt. still classifies marijuana as a class 1 drug, meaning that it has zero medical benefit. Yet the Federal Government owns patent number 6630507 stating it does!

There has been only lies, deceit, and deception from a Federal level regarding marijuana, and hemp - we can only assume to protect big business instead of the people.

Check out the video "run from the cure" http://www.phoenixtears.ca

4. Michael Bernhardt

Thank you for sharing your story.

I advocate for the end of the prohibition of medical marijuana, because knowing what I know about the subject, it’s the right thing to do.

5. Concerned in Coloma

I feel this is (medical marijuana) a huge help to many people. I also feel that we are wasting so much of tax payers dollars fighting this that could be so much better spent on things like fighting cruelty to animals.

Concerned in Coloma

6. Amputee in rural Wisconsin

I am an amputee and suffer from variety of pains, including phantom pains in my missing body part(s). The weed lowers the phantom pain greatly, better than the harsh doctor drugs. Weed also helps with my depression and appetite; weed allows me to function as normal as possible even though life is hard sometimes. thanks Jay for helping me out with the door and stuff and asking about my concerns...glad we talked.

7. NORMLJay

Frutiger, Marc “Moochie”

Madison- Marc “Moochie” Frutiger age 55
    Died on Tuesday July 27, 2010 with his children by his side.
    Survivors include his friend & ex-wife Jeanette Frutiger;
    2 children James Frutiger & Tara McRaven;
    5 grandchildren: Ashlyn, Jaden, Tristan, Travis & Taylor.
    2 brothers: Charles (Karen) & Thomas Frutiger;
    2 nephews: Chad (Kelli) & Chase Frutiger. As well as
    a loving friend Rose (Carter) Flynn & many life long friends.
    He was preceded by his parents William & Dorothy (Statz)Frutiger.
    A celebration of Marc’s life will be held at Warner Park on
    Sunday Aug. 8, 2010 @ 1:00pm.
    In lieu of flowers, the family prefers Memorials in Marc’s name.

8. NORMLJay